21 January 2010

Dinner fun

It has been awhile since my last dinner post. this one is not Asian influenced. I had some eggplant in the fridge that needed to be eaten...and we needed a bit of comfort food. Every now and again, western or European type food just links us to home in the most simple way. A bit of red wine as a treat- yum....a nice salad and an eggplant sandwich!


I bought a fresh loaf of French bread at the grocery. Did not even know they had it there! Cut to size desired for each person and slice one side.
In a saute pan, olive oil and fresh garlic. Saute until garlic is golden
I peeled the eggplant partially as I like a bit of the skin for texture and then cube
Toss in with the garlic and saute adding oil as need be so does not stick.
Add fresh sweet basil and cook a few minutes to encourage flavor
Then I added already made spaghetti sauce, but if I could have...I would used sun dried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes to make the sauce...you use what you can get!
Slice some fresh mozzarella cheese and put on sliced baguette. I had to microwave it to melt it....not the best option but worked. You could just put in broiler for a few minutes to melt and brown. (Even better put the Mozzarella on top of the eggplant and toss sandwich in broiler for a few minutes at end. Ok that is if you have an oven:)
Then scoop in eggplant sauce
top with some fresh Parm cheese and some more fresh basil if you like....eat up!


1 comment: