Our family will be living in Johor Bahru, Malaysia for at least a year ...keep track of us as we journal our adventures and daily experiences.
18 January 2010
everyday
These are typical scenes that we see everyday. It is important to understand- that even though we are blessed to travel all over SE Asia...where we live in Johor Bahru is unique unto itself. There are not many expats or Europeans around here. Our white skin is not only fascinating to some, but also mind blowing to others. The daily life here is hard. People work hard and still only make about $200-400 a month if they are lucky. Here is an example of a mobile kiosk. This guy is luck to make $5 a day.
This is JB at its finest...a Muslim nurse walking home...lots of cars...
this is Nevi and Hannah and Kate as we walk down the sidewalk to the dentist office...we gets stares everywhere we go...but mostly gentle and curious stares. Only occasionally- mostly when I am grocery shopping do I get huge, deep and a bit frightening stares. I have been followed a few times down two or three aisles by men who just stare deep into me...I finally stare deeply back and they retreat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment