We had a long weekend here in Malaysia due to yesterday being National Day. Basically the same as the US 4th of July. 52 years ago Malaysia gained her independence. So with all of us off for three days we did some fun exploring. We decided to go to the Danga Bay Petting Zoo in Johor Bahru downtown. We had been to the Singapore Zoo a few weeks ago and were amazed and so impressed. Well, we got here to the local zoo...and oh my my heart broke in thousands of pieces. There were lots of animals: monkeys, snakes, lizards, birds, bears, tigers, lion, but the problem was they were all kept in very small metal cages. Oh my the place smelled of urine...and these poor wild animals were in cages with no vegetation...no soft place to lay down...devastating. I was not sure how Nevi would handle this experience...I think I was more traumatized than she- she was not impressed and said this place was not fun...but I was angry, appalled, worried. No one should treat animals this way. Now of course they were well fed it seemed...but the cages oh my. I really do not love zoo's anyway. Anyone who has ever travelled or lived in Africa and witnessed the majesty of animals in their natural environment usually does not care for zoos. But the Singapore Zoo was so impressive- no cages, animals roaming in natural spaces. But this place- oh my heart. I was glad on one hand I went cause maybe our entrance fee might make a difference for one of those sweet animals...and yet I will never return and will tell others around here not to go. In fact, I want to call and report the conditions... but who do you call...who would listen...? Anyway, not a fun filled family outing as we had planned. Alas, part of our education and another growth experience. In the pictures you wil see some Malaysian Sun Bears, a tiny baby Tiger and a Gibbon monkey.
Our family will be living in Johor Bahru, Malaysia for at least a year ...keep track of us as we journal our adventures and daily experiences.
01 September 2009
heartbreaking really
We had a long weekend here in Malaysia due to yesterday being National Day. Basically the same as the US 4th of July. 52 years ago Malaysia gained her independence. So with all of us off for three days we did some fun exploring. We decided to go to the Danga Bay Petting Zoo in Johor Bahru downtown. We had been to the Singapore Zoo a few weeks ago and were amazed and so impressed. Well, we got here to the local zoo...and oh my my heart broke in thousands of pieces. There were lots of animals: monkeys, snakes, lizards, birds, bears, tigers, lion, but the problem was they were all kept in very small metal cages. Oh my the place smelled of urine...and these poor wild animals were in cages with no vegetation...no soft place to lay down...devastating. I was not sure how Nevi would handle this experience...I think I was more traumatized than she- she was not impressed and said this place was not fun...but I was angry, appalled, worried. No one should treat animals this way. Now of course they were well fed it seemed...but the cages oh my. I really do not love zoo's anyway. Anyone who has ever travelled or lived in Africa and witnessed the majesty of animals in their natural environment usually does not care for zoos. But the Singapore Zoo was so impressive- no cages, animals roaming in natural spaces. But this place- oh my heart. I was glad on one hand I went cause maybe our entrance fee might make a difference for one of those sweet animals...and yet I will never return and will tell others around here not to go. In fact, I want to call and report the conditions... but who do you call...who would listen...? Anyway, not a fun filled family outing as we had planned. Alas, part of our education and another growth experience. In the pictures you wil see some Malaysian Sun Bears, a tiny baby Tiger and a Gibbon monkey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
aghhhh. that is really one of my biggest pet peaves. glad i wasn't there. i might have taken it out on some poor worker that had nothing to do with caging those animals. i HATE zoos. but that sounds really even more awful, if that is at all possible. don't know what you could do really, except protest out front with signs or something. maybe an animal rights campaign is in you & Nevi's future?!?
ReplyDelete